8 January 2013

Face painting

Painters often have many different ways of doing the same things and flesh is one such area. I thought I would take this opportunity to show how I do my flesh work for 28mm figures.
 I use 4 colours for flesh work no inks, dips, magic washes or voodoo charms. They are all from the Vallejo game color range. Dark fleshtone (base), Tan flesh (1st highlight) Dwarf skin (2nd highlight) Elf skintone (final highlight).

Stage one very simply base coat all the flesh ensuring the primer is covered, this will provide all the shadow the face requires.
Step two pick out the main areas of the face, leaving a little of the base colour around the eyes, nose and mouth. You will see I have painted the eyes on this model (life can be too short to worry about these) but if you want me to paint them there are many resources available via an internet search.

Sorry for the blurred image. The third stage is to highlight the brow if the figure has one, nose, top of the cheeks and chin. again leaving an edge of the previous colour.
The final stage is a very small amount of the final colour applied as two small dots either side of the nose and then very finely down the centre of the nose. Two small patches at the top of the cheeks, and the highestpoint of the chin.
The finished face side on and frontally, yes i did paint the teeth too!!
Finally if you dont paint the eyes it wont be a problem. They will look fine from the average gaming distance.
I hope some of you find this interesting, maybe you can share your own tips.

16 comments:

  1. Thanks Andrew. Your faces do come out very well, I might give this a try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great little tutorial, your faces look great as do your figures.


    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always great to see how others do their flesh, I find I now do flesh different depending on if the figure is part of unit or individual model
    Peace James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only paint to one standard so all get the same treatment, but I do tend to do a lot of characterful figures, commnads etc.

      Delete
  4. A very simple and helpful tutorial, which explains why your figures look so good. By trial and error I have moved to a very similar system, using 4-5 shades of Games Workshop flesh tones. I don't use as many on small scale figures, but on 28s it looks good.
    Keep up the good work!
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the only thing I forgot to mention was that I thin the paints and build upin layers to reach the density that suits the figure, before moving ti the next stage

      Delete
  5. This is identical to the way I paint faces. I use different paints, but the process is the same. I always do the eyes though as that is where the figures personality is for me.

    These are some really nice looking figures Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I missed this first time round??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you miss the limbs and torsos as well ;)

      Delete
  7. I too missed these guides. Will be trawling them.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...