1 December 2012

Every time you see me, that Hammer's just so hype

Today I present my finished version of the Foundry Thor miniature.

Thor is a God who is mentioned heavily throughout the history of the Germanic peoples, and the height of his popularity was during the Viking age. Emblems of his Hammer Mjolnir were worn in defiance of the spreading Christianity and Norse pagan names bear witness to his popularity.  Thursday ( Thor's Day) still carries his name.

Some sources state Thor is the son of Odin. Generally described as having red hair and a red beard also being fierce eyed. Thor slaughtered his foes and had fierce battles with the serpent Jormungandr, both were killed by each other during Ragnarok.

Now the vague description of Thor does not help me too much when painting apart from giving me a colour for the hair of which this model does have a lot of. The obvious item is the Hammer, I decided to keep the overall colour palette more neutral with a feature being made of his cloak that bears a runic inscription which I hope I have spelt correctly and grammatically got right.




12 comments:

  1. I really like this figure, I am really going to have a go at some runes like you have done on the cape.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, I can only agree with John this figure is great and the runes you painted on the cape makes me feel I have a lot to learn. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He looks fantastic Andrew! Love the basing too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very very nice wonderful colours and shading all round great job
    Cheers
    Kent

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very very nice wonderful colours and shading all round great job
    Cheers
    Kent

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice work!

    How many vikings you done in total now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year 200+ currently have 53 on the bench to add to them

      Delete
  7. I do love Foundry figures. So much character to them and fun to paint.

    This looks fabulous and I admire the work you did on the hem of that cloak. Great brushwork!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne, it was a little awkward on such a small space and nearly took me to my paitience threshold :)

      Delete
  8. Great paintjob.
    May he smite his foes with his hammer in games to come.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He looks excellent. The base detail is awesome. Flock has come a long way.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...