13 December 2011

What is it about this hobby?

I have been trying to decide what makes this hobby so interesting for me. It all started a long time ago, on a heavily patterned front room carpet and a few boxes of Airfix plastic figures one Christmas. Those figures were a box of Napoleonic Highlanders and French Line infantry. Along with the box was a simple set of rules and that was the start of a long journey.
Not content with bare plastic I sat for hours painting them into some resemblance of the pictures on the boxes. More Napoleonics followed until I got a few years older then started to collect lead figures again it was Napoleonics from Minifigs to start with. The gaming was always between me and a few selected friends.
It was my teenage years that really saw me get absorbed into the hobby fully, painting, reading historical books and role playing. However aside from the regular Dungeons & Dragons sessions very little other gaming although the collections of painted miniatures kept growing.
Early adulthood saw me drop off of the role play and back into wargaming always finding the local gaming club whenever I moved to a new area.
I regularly painted figures throughout and sold my 15mm collections to fund 28mm collections which along with a lead mountain that I hardly had room for I had to sell to start up a small business.
Now I have come full circle and in the main I am painting 15mm figures again, having decided that large collections are best achieved with smaller figures due to cost and skirmish games played with 28mm scale because they look more impressive.
Terrain has always figured in the journey too, after all it is now how I make a living or at least try too after having sold everything to fund it.
Having said all this and thought hard about what I enjoy most , for me it was a difficult decision as gaming at the club has the benefits of fun and good company, reading history expands the mind and always encourages me to build armies, terrain is very important to me as I like a good looking table to play on.
However it has to be the painting first. I certainly am not a great painter but overall I am always happy with the end result of my efforts, I use the painting as my bit of space and really enjoy making a figure come to life.
So now I ask the question which part of the hobby do you enjoy the most?

5 comments:

  1. I must admit I love the whole hobby, and each 'part' feeds the other... If I find a set of rules I like, then I'll want to build an army for it, and get it painted. Then I'll want to make terrain to suit... The first two bits are easy, but the terrain making usually takes some motivation and encouragement...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagination and creativity for me. I love messing with rules and scenarios and I like to develop background and theme behind my paint schemes and forces.

    The trouble with this is that I struggle to stay focussed for long on one thing and so I have to always strike whilst iron is hot to get things painted and finished before the next butterfly of inspiration passes by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great honest post, as Scott said for me its the whole thing, from painting to the research you have to do, to playing games and even the newest kind of extension to our crazy hobby...the blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must agree Ray, a great post, for myself, mmmmmmmmmm, its the whole caboodle I recon. I love painting, love gaming, I love all things historical and military. I do agree with Kieron though, there is always something else to do and getting stuff finished can be a bit of a chore sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd really agree with Kieron, imagination and creativity are the best part. Being able to develop a background for your force, whether it's historical, fantasy or sci-fi, and tailor what you do within the hobby to match that (in terms of scenarios, games, painting, modelling) are what really appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...